Re: Metal building style shop sizes/prices?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Metal building style shop sizes/prices?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:38:44 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Mark J. Andy wrote:
> So I'm starting to think seriously about what it'll cost to build a metal
> building style shop.  Stuff I need:

Related to this...

When I just drew boxes on some paper, I came up with about 50x70 for a
building size for what I'd like to have.

However, its not going to surprise me if "what I'd like to have" and "what
I can afford to have" are pretty different things... :-)

As such, what do you folks think a smaller reasonable space would be where
I could do the following:

1) have room to work on two vehicles simultaneously, one "project bay" and
one "regular service bay".  The regular service bay would need room for a
two post lift as well.  Room to work is a pretty key phrase... Not being
able to pull an axle from the rear end because it hits a wall would annoy
me.  :-O

2) room for misc shop tools.  Compressor, tire machine, engine hoist,
engine stand, 9" lathe, floor drill press, welder, plasma cutter, welding
table, tool boxes, "reasonable" storage, blast cabinet, parts washer,
workbenches, etc.

About the only thing I'd want on a 2nd floor would be storage.

I'm currently thinking that going much smaller than 40x40 would cramp my
style, but I'm willing to be told otherwise...

Thanks!

Mark