Re: Pouring a floor

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pouring a floor
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:31:35 -0700
>Another thing I was contemplating is welding the rebar together instead
>of just tying it together.  Other than the time it would take to do it
>are there any downsides to doing this?

    I welded my rebar and found out it was a bad thing to do, several
people here said it weakens the poor quality steel that rebar is made
of.  I was told and I found out that there is "weldable" rebar but it is
quite a bit more expensive.

   Luckily for me it was a small project and the building inspector was
quite busy and friendly, when i called him to come over prior to pouring he
said, "did you put the rebar in ?" I said "yes", he said "pour the concrete
and start building, I will come by next week" so he never saw it was
welded, I later found out it is not legal to weld up rebar.

   Of course this is in the Republic of Santa Barbara, its own little
country within the state of California, your codes most likely will be less
severe.  So call and check before welding.

   Mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/