RE: Pouring a floor

To: Martin Scarr <martins@efn.org>
Subject: RE: Pouring a floor
From: "Madurski, Ronald M" <ronald.m.madurski@lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:24:58 -0400

I was also a bit concerned about having to leave the forms under/next to
the concrete which overtime could create a void.

> wide footing.  There are some steel straps made for that purpose, or
> sometimes contractors here use pieces of 1x lumber across the
> top of the
> footing forms to hold up the wall forms.  You also need to be sure to
> sufficiently brace the wall forms so they don't move around during the
> pour; since the bottom of the wall forms rest on the footing forms you
> need a lot of bracing.
> > My second alternative is to do the footer putting in a
> keyway.  Pour the
> > walls (8" thick) with another keyway, and then pour the floor.
> > Logistically this is a bit more difficult but the advantage
> that I see
> > is if a problem occurs less of the pour is affected.
>
> In my area you are required to have pieces of vertical bar
> for stem walls,
> so we don't use keyways.  If you don't need vertical bar, you
> can use 12"
> pieces of rebar placed vertically in the wet footing in lieu
> of a keyway.
> Place them every 4 feet (or whatever your inspector wants) in
> the center
> of the stem wall.

I neglected to mention that I was planning on using vertical pieces of
rebar in my original post (as well as putting in the keyway).  Probably
every 24".

> > Another thing I was contemplating is welding the rebar
> together instead
> > of just tying it together.  Other than the time it would
> take to do it
> > are there any downsides to doing this?
>
> Don't do it, your inspector probably won't like it and code may even
> prohibit it (been awhile since I looked at a code book).  Just lap the
> rebar and tie it with wire (lap needs to be 40x the diameter
> of the bar,
> 1/2 inch bar needs 20 inch lap).

That seems to be the concensus.  Cheap steel doesn't weld well.

Thanks

Ron Madurski