Re: AOL blocking team.net? Now with shop content...

To: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AOL blocking team.net? Now with shop content...
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:39:53 -0700
At 06:48 AM 8/5/2003 -0400, Nolan Penney wrote:

>I've been receiving these messages too, and trying to find where they
>are coming from.  I've got a vested interest, for obvious reasons.
>
>Since a few folks have determined it's me through lack of evidence, I
>thought I'd point out some fascinating and even a frightening aspect of
>his virus.

I'm not particularly interested in punishing anyone, but here's what I've
noticed.
The null CELLPADDING messages

From: timos <timos@microsoft.com>
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: CELLPADDING
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:57:03 -0500

From: npenney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:35:23 -0600

The null CELLSPACING mutant!
From: npenney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: CELLSPACING
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 11:48:05 -0600

>First, it's a shop-talk dedicated virus.  None of the other groups I'm
>in are receiving it.  Not even the other team.net groups.  It was
>written in a code that targets the shop-talk group only.
>
>Second, it's able to elude all the common, and a few of the uncommon,
>virus detection softwares.  Not a one of them has been able to locate it
>on my machine.  It must be of the newest, and most powerful code.
>
>Third, and this is scary, it's able to turn on the power supply to my
>computer, boot up the computer, send the messages, turn the computer
>back off, and throw the breaker to the off position again!  That's a
>terrifyingly powerful virus!!!
>
>Of course, it might actually be a virus on someone else's machine,
>someone that is only a member of the shop-talk group, or shop-talk and
>other groups I'm not a member of.  Could even be on the team.net server
>itself.  Some of the messages coming through it have contained a virus
>or two that my software has picked up.

McAfee has found no infected messages from Team.net.

>To those of you witch burners who are trying to get me booted out of
>the group, do a little checking before lighting up your torches.

I said, "I suspect a list member is infected and is unknowingly sending the
virus."

Now I think it would be more accurate to say, "I suspect a virus is
responsible for sending the empty messages "
or even better.......
In my best shop teacher voice, "SOMEBODY'S SCREWING AROUND!"

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA