Re: Copper pipe leak solution?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Copper pipe leak solution?
From: Martin Scarr <martins@efn.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:07:33 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Peter J. Thomas wrote:

> Chances are the pipe was eaten away by the concrete.  Old radiant
> heating used copper pipes buried in the slab.  Concrete is a base
> (opposite of acid) and slowly eats at copper.  Very interesting, the
> systems failed in about 40 years.

It is possible the leak is caused by a piece of steel touching the copper
piping; I've fixed several hydronic systems where the copper had been
touching a piece of rebar or tie wire, and only corroded through at that
spot.

To find a leak in a slab, I shut down the system but leave the water in
it.  I open the system and pump air into it (25-30 psi).  The resulting
air leak is much easier to locate; I use a stethascope on the floor to
pinpoint it.

Good luck
Marty Scarr