Re: two ton engine crane

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: two ton engine crane
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:11:42 -0700
> Just as a side comment, I own the "non-folding" 2-ton model.  By removing 5
> bolts, it breaks down into 3 separate pieces that stack into a smaller space
> (only about 30" by 10") than the 'folding' model.  The pieces won't reliably
> freestand, so I keep them tied to the wall (along with my folding trailer).
> A little less convenient to break down and reassemble, but I wouldn't trade.
>
> Randall

Hi Randall,

I understand what you are saying here--I did not
want a "foldable" hoist as the ones I have seen
are not as robust as the rigid ones.

What I liked about this one is that it basically
is like the rigid ones, except that the legs
telescope and use pins with clips to locate them.
It has six wheels with the legs attached, four
with the legs removed.

Instead of folding it, it just becomes a
"three-piece unit," but has receivers in the base
in which to stand the legs. It is about 60 lbs
heavier than the folding ones, and the base is
quite stout.

It sounds very similar to what you are doing,
except that the legs telescope and all the pieces
store together (although the stored floor space
requirements for this one is larger than yours).
But then again, it is on a wheeled platform if you
want to move it around.

best,

doug shook

los angeles