RE: Paint Removal

To: "'Marc Siegel'" <smarc@abs.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Paint Removal
From: Gil Fuqua <gil.fuqua@cci-ir.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:22:01 -0500
I have used Peel Away on several projects and it works!  It is also nasty
stuff and will eat your skin off as well as the paint...much more caustic
than normal paint remover.

It works like this:

Trowel on the goop (it is very thick) about 1/4" - 3/8" thick.  It is so
thick you use a trowel instead of a brush.

Put a layer of Peel Away paper on top of the goop.  The paper is coated on
one side and seals the goop and keeps it from drying out.

About 24 hours later, you peel off the paper and most of the goop sticks to
the paper with most of the paint sticking to the goop.  It will take off
10-20 layers of old paint at once...usually down to the bare surface.

You generally have a little touch up to do in a few spots where the paint
does not lift off cleanly.  This is usually a mess and takes as much time as
the original process.

You then have to clean off the remaining surface and neutralize it.  If
outside, you can hose it down and then spray with Peel Away's neutralizer.
Inside, you will probably have to wash down the brick by hand and then spray
on the neutralizer.

Peel Away is very caustic.  I used about four pairs of nitrile gloves at
once.  When it ate through the top layer, I pulled it off with the second
one and put on two more pair.  If it gets on your skin for long, it will eat
off the top layer of skin and does a nasty job on fingernails as well.  I
have not tried neoprene gloves.  They may work better than nitrile.

Peel Away is also expensive.  It sells for about $150 for 5 gallons but it
will take off so many layers of paint at once that it is probably cheaper in
the long run.

Gil Fuqua
Nashville