Re: Paint Removal

To: smarc@abs.net
Subject: Re: Paint Removal
From: Diane and Roland Dudley <csx2282@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:44:37 -0700
Here's something you might want try- 3M water base stripper.  About 10
years
ago I decided to strip the factory applied lacquer off of my Cobra.  I
started
out with a sander, but that was causing  too much damage to the aluminum
body,
so I switched to stripper.  At first I used the highly caustic gel stuff
you can buy at
any hardware store.  The fumes and risk to the skin finally got to me, so
I bought
a small container of the 3M stuff to try out.  To my surprise it worked
really
well.  It even took off the body fillers AC had used to cover up their
crappy
workmanship.  It also took off  Bondo repair patches.  No obnoxious fumes
or
burned fingers.  It is mildly stinky, but bearable even in a closed area.

Here's how I used it.  I brushed on a thick coat then covered it with
plastic wrap.
Usually I let it set for several hours before attacking the surface with
3M abrasive
pads.  In some really thick areas (near 1/8") it took two to three
applications.
On a few occasions I left it on for days.  And if it gets too dry you
just add water
and continue.

Roland