Bending steel

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bending steel
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:02:06 -0400
I am wondering...  how does one bend steel?  Oh, sure, I know about the
techniques used for sheet metal.  Everything from the English wheel to
sheet metal brakes to hammers and dollies.  I'm talking about heavier
stuff.  Suppose one wants to fabricate a plow blade, a heavy equipment
bucket or who knows what else.  I'm sure the biggest factories have giant
presses and machinery for these operations.  The question is, are there
techniques for doing these operations in the small shop environment?  Or do
I have to limit my imagination to stuff I can build from flat pieces welded
together?