Speaking of trailers...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Speaking of trailers...
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:15:58 -0400
I have a 16 foot open auto transport trailer.  I use four 10000lb tiedowns
and axle straps.  Sometimes I'll also throw a chain around something just
to be sure.  I am new to the towing game, so I have had to figure out the
best way to attach various vehicles.  Recently, I have seen two articles
about towing, one in Skinned Knuckles magazine and another in Auto
Restorer, both September 2003 issues.  The Auto Restorer article author
states "We use 3000 lb test rated tow straps to firmly secure the Charger
to the trailer, one at the front of the car, the other at the rear".  The
Skinned Knuckles author states that he has 8" channels fastened to the
floor next to the Right Front and Left Rear wheels.  He uses a set of
winter tire chains over the two wheels, attached at one end to a lateral
steel rod through the channels and at the other end attached to another
lateral rod with a come-a-long.  I guess my question is, am I extremely
cautious, or have these guys lost there minds?  I can't imagine either of
these approaches being terribly safe.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net