RE: Speaking of trailers...

To: "Madurski, Ronald M" <ronald.m.madurski@lmco.com>
Subject: RE: Speaking of trailers...
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:46:08 -0400
To me, the cost of an accident goes way beyond the cost of the
vehicle.  There was an article in Practical Classics a while ago about an
accident towing a parts car home.  It wasn't a tiedown failure, but a
fishtailing sort of thing from improper weight distribution.  In any event,
they took out a couple of cars, including the tow vehicle.  The parts car
was fine.  The liability, the insurance impact, and the moral obligation to
try my best to not kill or injure others goes way beyond the value of the
vehicle.  And I don't feel like screwing up my vehicle either.

My impression is that a piece of rope would probably do the job if nothing
unexpected happens.  But what if you are dreaming about carburetors, and
run off the road, or rear end someone?  No tiedown is going to survive a
massive accident, but I would like to think mine would survive a fender
bender.