Re: Cleaning the gutters

To: <pethier@isd.net>, <w.farrington@verizon.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning the gutters
From: "Brian C. Kennedy" <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:55:06 -0400
I've tried a couple of things. One is a gadget I fashioned with a broom
handle, a shelf bracket, some thick metal strap and hose clamps. I made sort
of a U shaped thing and attached it to the end of the broom handle. I then
bent the unattached leg of the U near the end at a right angle. I could then
sort of "scoop" the gunk out my gutter nee eves troughs. It worked pretty
well, but I don't think it would at 18'.

I bought a gadget for my garden hose that was also U shaped and had a hole
on the side so the water would shoot out sideways. It was extendable with a
compression fitting. It want to rotate so I had to hold it with my vice
grips and then I couldn't get the fitting tight enough and the tube would go
shooting out.

Of course, I clean my gutters every few years whether they need it or not. I
usually have a nice crop of small maple trees and other interesting plants
growing. I wonder if I cleaned them two or three times a year (Michigan) if
one of these gadgets wouldn't work pretty well.

Another thought that occurs to me is you might try plumbing flexible plastic
tubing into the gutters permanently at the far end from the down spouts such
that you could attach a garden hose at ground level and give them a good
flush every couple of weeks or so, or more often in the fall.
--
Brian  Kennedy