Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 07:55:11 -0400
 > A larger number of fine splines has more surface area thus more strength
 > than a smaller number of coarser splines.

I have always wondered why there are so many and therefore such shallow
splines on a whire wheel. The fact that they wear out so quickly seems
to be an indication of a major design flaw at least in terms of durability.

Why would more splines mean more strength? Seems to me that 2 or 4
splines with equidistant peaks and valleys on a wire wheel would be
stronger than 1000 Billion splines of the same or similar design on the
same wire wheel. A 1000 Billion splines sounds a lot like a bearing to me.

A programmer not an engineer....

Don Malling