RE: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts
From: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:13:08 -0600
> Maybe I don't know what spines are. I thought that thing-a-ma-bob on a
> drive shaft was a spline. Most I've seen aren't very tight -- they slide
> back and forth a lot. If wire wheel like splines are stronger why aren't
> they used on a drive shaft?

They are in newer cars.

> Again, in my mind, a spline with 1000 Billion elements and
> which still slides on and off easily is a bearing.

The more splines the more surface area.  The more surface area the less
likely things will slip.

A good example of spline technology is seen in automobile axle applications.
Many early axles had machined splines.  They ranged from 8 - 12 splines.
Some time in the early 60s (?) manufactures found that they could roll
splines rather than machine them.  There were several advantages of rolled
splines.  They were cheaper to produce, the rolling process 'worked' the
steel and produced stronger splines, and, as has been discussed here, they
are less likely to slip.

There is another issue with machined splines vs. rolled splines.  Machined
splines leave sharp edges at the transition from the splines to the smooth
shaft.  This transition is critical, those sharp edges are prone to
cracking.  Cracks lead to broken axles.  Rolled axle splines are not prone
to that issue.

Larry Hoy