Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:20:22 -0400
Hmmm... Interesting

The article says that wire wheels are naturally tightened the correct
amount by simply driving forward.

I have often heard that one should not tow a car with wire wheels
backwards, or the wire wheels may come off. It stands to reason that if
running the car backwards loosens the wire wheels, then driving it
forward must tighten them.

Sounds like there is no maintenance issue with keeping the wire wheels
tight. Simply driving forward will keep them tightened the correct
amount. In fact over tightening them will cause the splines to wear.

Sounds like as long as you keep the splines greased, so they don't rust,
they should never wear out -- and let the forward motion of the car
tighten the wire wheels the correct amount.

I will check my wire wheels. I remember looking at two of them. One is
dry and worn out and the other is well greased and in good shape.

Interesting.....

Don Malling