Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts

To: Linden Thomson <lindenthomson@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:12:54 -0600
Linden,

Why would "they" recommend a light lubrication of the cones if the cones
take the main driving force? "Friction drive" just doesn't work. I think
that your source is mis-informed. It doesn't make sense that a smooth
cone with a light coating of grease on it will transmit any appreciable
amount of torque.

Please believe me, anyone who has experienced worn splines stripping
while driving, can verify that no braking or acceleration torque will be
transmitted to that wheel. A loss of splines on one wheel while braking
results in a violent pull to the opposite side as the stripped side free
wheels.

Dave Russell