Chev truck steering wheel and horn connection

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Chev truck steering wheel and horn connection
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:23:22 -0500
I have a 1993 Chev Suburban with a tilt wheel.

Have you taken the steering wheel off one of these?  It looks a bit odd in
there.

The horn does not work because the spring which makes the contact has come loose
from its mooring.  It is supposed to be held in by a black plastic tube which
bayonets into a white plastic sleeve which runs parallel to the axis of the
hub.

The problem is that the bayonet hook of the white part is broken.  I bought
a new white plastic part from the Chevrolet dealer.  It was apparent that the
white plastic part mounted to the dash side of the wheel.  Turns out it does
not.

I made a puller with a pair of 7mm bolts and the steering wheel popped right
off.   The white part stayed with the truck, as a rotating part of the steering
shaft.  The bayonet sleeve portion is hanging in the air, secured by its large
round portion  apparently (there's that word again) affixed to the dash side
of a black metal disk which in turn attaches to the steering shaft.  There is
a ring-shaped metal cover which does not rotate.  This cover prohibits further
disassembly, since its large central hole is smaller than the black metal disk.
 When I finally figured out the correct orientation of the steering shaft (not
straight-ahead, that would be too logical), I easily removed this cover by
removing
two small Torx screws.

This leaves me with a black metal disk attached to the steering shaft.  Does
anyone know how to get this thing off?  Puller threatens to bend the black metal
part and make it impossible to re-install the cover.  I don't care if I break
the white plastic part, as I have a new one here in the bag, but I don't want
to destroy anything else.

This is a lot of stuff to go through to fix a horn.  I don't know why they
needed
this many parts to do this job.  Maybe I will understand it all IF I can ever
get the black metal disk off the steering shaft...

Phil "suddenly British cars don't seem all that weird" Ethier in Saint Paul