Re: Can anybody explain this?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can anybody explain this?
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:20:41 -0500
At 01:21 PM 11/17/2003 -0500, Mark Andy wrote:

>I suspect they have good woodworking tools (they used to, back when I did
>carpentry in the summers in college), but I've never heard their name
>associated with any _mechanical_ tools... Like wrenches.  Maybe they make
>great stuff though, it'd just surprise me.

you've heard of mac tools?  a division of stanley.  the old(er) craftsman
tools are stanley stuff.  though it hurts to say it, those are now what
you'd call the 'better' craftsman tools.

blackhawk, also stanley.  and basically, all those tools are the same, with
variances in stamping, machining, chrome.  makes all the difference in the
world on some things, not a whit on others.  the biggest variances I've
seen were on the combination wrenches, which looked to be actual different
stampings/forgings/etc.

the ratcheting wrenches are all gearwrench, as far as I know.  I've seen
them in matco trucks as well as the others mentioned.  the matco guy did
not think highly of them (and they were branded matco), but this was a few
years ago.

scott

> > >That said, GearWrench (KD Tools I think?) ratcheting combination wrenches
> > >have been around a while and every mechanic I know has them.  _Super_
> > >useful.  Check out http://thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TTW360.html
> >
> > I prefer the Craftsmen version, but the gearwrench ones are nice.
> > Make sure you get a reversible set.
>
>We're just gonna have to agree to disagree... :-)
>
>I actually much prefer the non-reversable ones.  No little lever to trip
>while you're working on a tight bolt and the non-reversable ones are
>typically straight, which is usually pretty handy when getting into tight
>spots (otherwise you can typically use a socket).

I liked the straight sets until I got one, then I realized why the offset
ones seem to be offered more (so must be in greater demand).  now the
straight ones sit in the box unless absolutely necessary.  the other ones
just seem to 'feel' better.

I did originally like the idea of not having a lever, though.  just one
more thing to break, and they didn't seem like super-sturdy items to begin
with.  but I haven't broken one yet.  we'll see...

scott