Re: Tool Opinions & Trivia [was: Can anybody explain this?]

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tool Opinions & Trivia [was: Can anybody explain this?]
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:42:09 -0800
- snip -

> So what IS good these days?!?  Do I just have to save up for Snap-On?
>
>    -Wayne

I have been using S-K for 30 years now, I guess.  I
find that they are very thin walled, and slim, perfect
for working on tight spots on English motorcycles and
cars.  They have a pro series with better chrome and
polish, but all of the sockets and end wrenches I have
bought from them are very high quality -- none have
broken, none have rusted.

For the cylinder head nuts on a BSA B50SS, I could not
get an older Craftsman end wrench to fit (too thick
walled), but the S-K slips on without a problem.
Similar situation for the cylinder base nuts on the
older Triumph Twins. Their sockets also are very
compact and thin walled.

This site has a good selection and good pricing.  I
have bought quite a bit from them and am very pleased:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/catalog.html

They are US made, though I think the parent company was
bought by a French company Facom a few years ago, or
perhaps S-K is a subsidiary now.

This site sells most brands, too, if you go to their
home page:

http://www.sktoolstore.com/

I don't even look at other wrenches.

FWIW