Tool Opinions & Trivia [was: Can anybody explain this?]

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Tool Opinions & Trivia [was: Can anybody explain this?]
From: wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:32:41 -0500
At 10:05 PM 11/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>The other reason I prefer the craftsmen version (All of them are made by
>various subsidiaries of the Danaher Tool Group) is that they're made in the US.

I have a set of Craftsman combo-wrenches stamped "Made in [somewhere in
Asia]".  But they're probably 15 or 20 years old.  Plating is holding up
better than some domestic-branded Sears stuff of the same age in the same
tool box.

I was told current Craftsman and Husky (Home Depot) hand tools are both
manufactured by an "Ohio Forging" company, though I used to live in OH and
never heard of such a place.  The tools appear identical anyway.

'Bout 1.5 years ago, I was told the Kobalt hand tools from Lowes were made
by  Snap-On, and were identical except for a lesser plating process.  I
borrowed some Kobalt wrenches and was very pleased when they *easily*
removed some rusty, rounded nuts my Sears stuff was just rounding off
worse.  Their tolerances seemed a lot better then Sears'.

So I go to Lowes for a set of Kobalt "Snap On Lite" mechanic's tools, only
to find them discontinued, on clearance, and the shelves nearly bare.  The
new [current]  Kobalt stuff came out a few months later, it looks like
walmart grade shit  :(

So what IS good these days?!?  Do I just have to save up for Snap-On?

    -Wayne