Re: Sawzall v anglegrinder

To: nick@landform.co.uk, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sawzall v anglegrinder
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:01:25 -0600
>Nowadays I notice more
>of the Sawzall type tools appearing (in the UK). These are still fairly
>foreign tools to us so I was wondering what they are used for on home
>territory.

Demolishing houses.  Removing walls.  Cutting holes in old walls for new
windows.
 There are special flexible long blades for cutting off nails and wood flush
with a wall or floor.  Generally, circular saws cut faster and straighter than
reciprocating saws, but the reciprocating saws cut where the circular saws
can't.
 By-definition, a reciprocating saw is only cutting half the time.

>If you had to cut some 2x<" flat bar or angle which would you use?

If I was holding the bar, a circular chop saw or a bandsaw comes to mind.  If
the bar is attached to a large structure, a Sawzall can be really handy.  The
point is, do you take the saw to the work or the work to the saw?

>Seeing the prices that Sawzalls are offered for over here I'd be glad of
>some user info before investing.

Check out the website:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com

Phil