Re: Sawzall v anglegrinder

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sawzall v anglegrinder
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 16:35:58 +0000
Nick Brearley wrote

>Many thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to reply to the
>question. Terrific response, inside 12 hours I had the distillation of
>thirty years of experience. And to think some people say the net is a
>waste of time!
>
>It looks as though a whole new field of spending is opening up with so
>many blades for every application. All deWalt of course. When I can find a
>cordless version that looks like the way to go.

Following that exchange I'm now the owner of a DeWalt DW303K 240v saw. Why
DeWalt? Well, it was on good offer (60% of the price of the equivalent
Milwaukee Sawzall) and I've had good experiences with DeWalt stuff in the past.

First impressions are good. It makes short work of timber and light steel
angle. The book recommends outlining cuts in steel with oil. With the speed
of the blade that would be good policy if you have a lot to do, I imagine.

One thing I'm not too impressed with is the allen key blade change. Fiddly
and scope for a novice user to lose the fixing screw. Keyless is the way to
go. On the plus side it's rated at 750w so it'll run on a Honda eu10i
generator which helps for portability.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Nick Brearley

Thinking the front door would look better 12 inches wider. Hmm, better run
that past SWMBO first...