shop heater

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: shop heater
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:50:05 -0800
I need a heater for my three car garage/shop.  Only for the coldest
winter months (I'm in California, in the coastal mountains).
But in the winter it's pretty cold and damp up here.
Brr.

The garage is about 24'x32.  Mostly insulated, but with
a very peaked roof that's good for attic storage but
presents additional volume to heat.

Went to the local hardware store today. I missed out
on the heaters last winter.  But now they have only
kerosene and wimpy little electric heaters. I was wanting
propane since we're already on propane and I can
get a 'wet leg' attached to my main tank to use to fill
20lb cylinders.

There's a car in the middle bay that completely screws up
the layout, but that's where it has to go..  it means
that the garage is pretty crowded.  So I'm thinking
that the radiant type heaters are not what I want. I'm
worried I'd melt something.

I'm looking at the Northern Catalog and they have "Mr Heater"
forced-air propane heaters.  The smaller models are 35k btu
fixed for $99 and 30-55k btu for $139.  Are there
any advantages/disadvantages for these?
Anything else I should consider?

Thanks.

Eric