shop heaters

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: shop heaters
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 13:20:52 -0800
I'm in the middle of installing a shop heater right now...  now I'm in Alabama
and right now it's in the high thirties with the forecast saying 42 will be
the high... don't think it will make it...

the shop is 25x25 wood structure with insulated walls covered with 1/4"
plywood.  ceiling is finished with 6" of fiberglass above.

I snagged a good deal on a Reznor ceiling hung forced air unit (free)  50K btu
and natural gas... the unit is installled in the corner and points toward the
center of the room...  I have yet to punch thru the roof for the vent (waiting
for the rain shield kit for the vent pipe.  I also have to run 60' of gas line
from the house to the shop...  A thermostat will be mounted on the far corner
of the shop and I plan to keep it set to around 50.   I can always kick it up
when I'm working if necessary..

A forced air unit will give you better heat distribution.. and you won't have
to walk to the heater to work  They do make propane units  or it's a simple
matter to change the gas orifice.  You (nor I) need a unit that big for the
space but it was the right price :-).

It will be nice to work out their this winter with warm floors, tools and
body...

Reznor has a site and I've seen the smaller units at Northern and other
sites... worth a look see..

soon to be warm in the shop

john