autobody HVLP spray gun recommendations?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: autobody HVLP spray gun recommendations?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:41:20 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

My dad is interested in a new HVLP spray gun.  He's had a couple normal
guns along with an HVLP gun now (dunno what kind/type).  Apparently he's
had some issues with it w/regard to performance and perhaps parts
availability, but he hasn't been specific about what those were.

He wanted me to find out what brands folks are using in the autobody
repair world.  Of course, when I talk to my autobody friends, they tell me
that their guns all cost $400+, that you'd be an idiot to get them for
home use, and that I should get a knockoff.  Then they tell me that they
don't know any good knockoffs.  :-)

So, anyone got any recommendations for an HVLP gun that works like a pro
gun, is appropriate for occasional use, and (ideally) has decent parts
availability?

Thanks!

Mark

(who really suspects that he just needs to suck it up and learn to use the
gun he has, but whatever.  Maybe he thinks his current gun is ok but wants
to get another so he can give me his current one... :-)