Re: Disk brake problem - long and boring !!

To: rbahr@cisco.com, KVacek@ameritech.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Disk brake problem - long and boring !!
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:19:49 -0600
>I also do not recommend turning rotors - just causes problems and reduces
>the thermal mass you have to work with causing problems to reappear quickly.

I have always believed this, especially with ventilated rotors.  If there is
no runout, leave them alone.  Smooth, shallow concentric grooves are no reason
to have a disk re-faced.  The pads will wear into them just fine.

This may be a boring thread, but boring is the operation used to recondition
brake drums.  Facing is the operation for re-doing disks.  Turning is on the
outside of a cylindrical part, and few cars (not none) have brakes like this.
 Just a little Clavenism from a pedantic former hack machinist to lighten your
day.  :-)

Phil Ethier