Re: Anybody know anything about rigging a boat launch?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Anybody know anything about rigging a boat launch?
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:40:13 -0500
Are you allowed to put in a mooring?  You just sink a bunch of heavy stuff
with a chain attached.  Then you attach a floating buoy.  Best to buy an
"official" one, with appropriate stripe to keep the authorities
satisfied.  You then hook your boat to the buoy.  When you want to use your
boat, you either swim for it, or get a little dinghy or canoe or
something.  Paddle out and switch boats.

I understand you have a fear of sinking.  Maybe you should see a boat
therapist!  Lakes are full of boats.  They mostly don't sink.  To sink from
rain they have to be left uncovered for a long time, or through some really
nasty weather, like a hurricane.  Another popular way to sink a boat is to
forget to put the plug in the bottom.  If it's an Inboard/Outboard, there
are some rubber parts that can deteriorate and allow water to enter.  Yours
sounds like an outboard though.  If the hull of the boat is perforated and
allows water to enter, it's probably better off at the bottom of the
lake!  If you're really worried, make sure you have it adequately
insured.  If it sinks, it's an upgrade opportunity!

I'm really not trying to make light of your concerns.  It's just that the
enjoyment of a boat is greater if it can be used easily.  I understand your
British car mentality.  I have a 1958 MGA.  I have walked for help.  I have
come home on the end of a tow rope.  But my boat hasn't sunk yet.