Re: parts cleaners

To: Randall Young <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: parts cleaners
From: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:44:54 -0700
Randall Young wrote:

>>This is true, but it is noted in the spec sheet for Simple Green.
>>It will slowly attack aluminum alloys (using it as an
>>ultrasonic detergent would accelerate its erosive properties).
>

> Really ?  Must be only in the big data sheet, I've got a gallon jug in my
> hands and the only precautions are "Do not use on plastic instrument panels"
> and "Always spot test on a hidden area first".  Even says to use it full
> strength on automotive wheels, which are sometimes aluminum.
>
> No, of course I'm not doubting your word, just surprised is all.  I never
> would have dreamed it would attack aluminum !

See the following:

http://www.simplegreen.com/faq.html

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft,
automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum
items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used:
Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes
with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple
Green or Crystal Simple Green can
accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose
Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with
unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job
will allow - never for more than 10
minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to
achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after
cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to
flush out cracks and crevices to remove all
Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted
aluminum cleaned with Simple Green
products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent
oxidation.

This says it's concentration and time-dependent. My experience with it suggests
that heavy degreasing can't be
accomplished without some damage and discoloration--I have a some o/d pieces to
attest to that--before I checked the
spec sheet. Use in an ultrasonic bath would simply accelerate this process.

Cheers, Randall.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.