RE: Floor Paint - Color Choices?

To: kai@radiohead.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Floor Paint - Color Choices?
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:24:09 -0800
>Has anyone ever used tan colored paint?  Does it look out of place?  Any
>advantages to finding small parts dropped onto a tan floor?  Does tan
>better
>reflect overhead light?

Kai,

I have tan in one garage and grey in the other, both seem to work fine for
loosing parts (just look under the very middle of the car). As for looks I
picked tan for my wife's garage since the house is tan so it looks like it
belongs there, but if there's any chance she'll want it changed make sure to
include her in the decision. You don't want to do it twice, it's probably
~$400 for paint and supplies for a three car garage and a long day of work.

Make sure you use good two-part epoxy paint and mix it well. I wouldn't
trust any paint calling itself "epoxy" that comes in only one can. I bought
mine at Sherwin Williams (tan, the grey was already on the other floor when
I bought the place).

As with any other painting job preperation is key to good results. Wash with
TSP(scrub), rinse(scrub), etch(scrub), risne(scrub), paint. Of course follow
the manufacturers instructions. A nice hot day helps too (I think it was
about 112 when I did mine).

One last thing. If you can plan it so you'll be out of town for a few days
afterwards all the better. It's kinda stinky and takes about a week to fully
cure, so don't be tempted to drive on it too soon or you'll be sorry.

Good Luck,

John Matthews