Re: complicated modern cars

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: complicated modern cars
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:24:30 -0700
On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 08:46:56PM -0400, Peter Schauss wrote:

> My wife's Volvo (1999 S70) is actually a joy to work on
> when it comes to the basic maintenance like oil and coolant
> changes and belt changes.
>
> As for my BMW, the battery is total hidden from view.  The
> owner's manual does not say where it is, nor does it provide
> a specification for what type of oil to use.

At least the MB tells you what kind of oil to use... even though
replacing the filter is difficult enough that I've not been doing it.
(and I have no problems adjusting desmo valves on Ducatis).   My GMC's
filter is easy to get to, but there's a frame crossmember that partially
blocks it and unless you know to stuff it with rags first, will hold oil
that drips from the old filter and release it later to make you think
that you made a big boo-boo and the engine's been leaking.

My wife tried putting gas into the car today and it went in fine.
So whatever the problem was, I think it was caused by the first
gas pump overflowing onto or into... something.  Any ideas what?

Eric