RE: complicated modern cars

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: complicated modern cars
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:54:54 -0700
> My wife tried putting gas into the car today and it went in fine.
> So whatever the problem was, I think it was caused by the first
> gas pump overflowing onto or into... something.  Any ideas what?

Most tanks these days seem to have a separate "fill vent" that runs from the
top of the tank to the side of the filler neck just below the 'unleaded'
baffle.  If yours has a low spot that could fill with liquid gasoline, might
be that's what happened.  Without the vent, the turbulent flow in the filler
neck could cause pump nozzles to trip.

Randall