Re: Gravel driveway material & labor prices?

To: orphancars@direcway.com
Subject: Re: Gravel driveway material & labor prices?
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:50:00 -0500
On Jul 12, 2004, at 9:46 PM, orphancars@direcway.com wrote:

> - Depending on how confident you are with tractors and such,
> and how complex an area you need to work, consider renting
> or borrowing a neighbor's tractor and doing it yourself.
> Sounds like the worst part of your effort will be scraping off
> the grass where the drive will be.  But Dave C is right -- a
> good and helpful dump truck operator will be able to dump the
> material for you so it's less effort for you or your tractor
> operator (ie., dump and drag the material).

My parents have a 300' X 10' steel slag driveway,  about 6" thick.
Except for the grading, it was done by hand -- with a shovel and a
wheelbarrow and a rake.  Getting the drivers to dump while moving made
things much easier.  Still ended up with two foot thick piles, but
that's a lot less rock to move than what's in an 8' pile.  20 years
later, it's still in good shape.