covenants

To: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: covenants
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:28:40 -0700
>I'm sure we could get into a long debate over covenants vs. freedoms, but
>true freedom allows you to choose to band together with like-minded
>individuals to carve out a lifestyle that is pleasing to you. I'll take
>covenant communities over bureaucratic zoning any day, as long as the
>covenants are well written and enforceable.
I didn't want to argue it, but I remember vividly when looking at houses
and finding that
covenants for a particular development were written to prohibit some
activities that I've
done without a thought.  A dead car in the side yard, an old pickup parked
in the street.
Both of which are violations of the local code, but are enforced only on
complaint.

The car hobbyists came to the conclusion that what in the public view was
fair game
for legislation but what couldn't be seen shouldn't be controlled.  And
then somebody
got a ticket for not having a current registration on the 55 Chevy in his
carport.

Steve Shipley