Air pipes and such

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Air pipes and such
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:18:39 -0600
This is a fairly common topic, maybe someday I'll cobble up some
collection of various Team.Net references on the subject and put on
article on The-Local - we shall see.

I have a ball valve at the compressor tank and a 3/4" rubber hose on the
connection between the compressor and the hard lines that feed the shop,
the rubber hose absorbs the vibrations of the compressor.

A part of the plan is that one should never be more than a few steps
from air, electricity or paper towels, so I have about a dozen or so
fittings along the perimeter of the 30 x 30 place I'm renting.  I was
down there last night taking some pictures of an item or two for ebay, so
I took a quick snap of the compressor valve:
http://fatchancegarage.com/images/valve.jpg

I usually remember to turn it off before I head home, leaving it on
isn't a good idea.  I've probably got a hundred or so feet of hard
line around the shop, some of the fittings leak ;-) The hard lines are
mostly 1/2 galvanized.  Given the lack of serious humidity here in
Utah, I'm not worried about corrosion from condensed water vapor.  I
get a few tablespoons of water from the drain once or twice a month,
no need for daily checks.

One thing I've done is cut the tire chuck off the hose on my air tank
and fit a quick connect, so my air tools can be plugged into the tank
when I'm at an event.  And I put male fittings into each side of a
ball valve so I have an adapter to connect the air tank to the shop
lines, open the valve and fill the tank.  No need to sit there for a
minor bit of eternity holding an air chuck to the tank waiting for it
to fill.

mjb.

ps:  Ebay stuff:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=teamfat&rd=1