RE: Will oil really "wick up" a dipstick?

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Will oil really "wick up" a dipstick?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:13:13 -0700
> The motor has not been used for several days, so the main issue is
> "Does oil wick up the dipstick and give you a false reading?".

I think a more relevant question is : How do you know for a gold-plated fact
that the motor has not been turned over recently?  Even a gust of wind could
possibly slosh oil around enough to give a false reading.

Are you willing to bet your life (and possibly others) on that ?

Checklists are mind-numbingly boring, but there's a reason for every item on
there.  And someone, somewhere, sometime, has had to make a forced landing
because of not doing that one item...

Randall