Re: concrete floor cleaning?

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: concrete floor cleaning?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 01:41:49 -0500
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:37:42 -0400, Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net> wrote:
>> this weekend I'm laying tile in the room.  installing a new vanity and
> toilet, etc.  only the tub stays, and that only because there's no way to
> get a new tub in.  my thinking was that this would solve any problems,
> sealing the floor.  but now I wonder...if it is the slab (and it really
> couldn't be anything else except maybe the drywall, and it's been painted
> with multiple coats of killz and latex bathroom gloss) is the tile/mortar
> permeable enough that smell could get through it?

Yup.  You can get urine in concrete.  You can also get it in drywall.
  Wash everything with an *acidic* cleaner.  Dried urine is apparently
alkaline, it's mostly ammonia compounds.  There are also professionals
that deal with this sort of problem, though I'm sure they're all
booked for the next year in Florida!  If the dogs were really locked
in the bathroom, you're looking at sealing or replacing anything with
a porous surface.  That includes the concrete floor and the drywall; I
wouldn't be surprised if it included the tub, and depending on what
the volume of liquid involved was, some of wood in the walls.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com