RE: A question about Hypoid gear oil.....

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: A question about Hypoid gear oil.....
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:26:21 -0800
> I have a 1958 MF tractor that I left outside most of the summer. When I
> checked the fluid level in the gear case which holds both the
> transmission/PTO and the hydraulics for the 3 point hitch I noticed that
> the oil was the color of a latte......looks to me like it has gotten
> water in it.

I would definitely at least drain and refill.  Run it long enough to get hot
& check the oil's appearance again.  If it still looks funky, drain & refill
again.

I don't know enough about what's inside a 58 MF to know if flushing with
solvent would be safe or not, but the above procedure is bound to be safe
and gear oil isn't all that expensive.

Randall