Re: A question about Hypoid gear oil.....

To: "Shop-TalkList" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: A question about Hypoid gear oil.....
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:15:33 -0600
First, it's NOT hypoid gear oil . . the fluid spec is very specific for an
80 weight
straight mineral gear oil . . additive packs and detergents make foam which
hinder the hydraulics.  Try to buy it from a Massey dealer or a
knowledgeable oil distributor.  Ford up 'til '53 used the same oil.
Water gets in through the shift boots, the top-link linkage boot and through
natural condensation.  Massey service calls for an annual change and you
don't want to ruin that fantastic 4 cylinder pump.  You can flush with
diesel fuel and even run it a few seconds to flush the pump but be very
careful to get all the diesel out possible . . blowing with an airhose
through the filler and up through the drain plugs helps the flush find it's
way out.  It's a good idea to put a couple of gallons of oil in and run the
tractor a few minutes and drain that as well before refilling with the 6 or
8 gallons it holds.  For an extra safeguard, pull the dipstick or PTO
shifter cover off and feel around in the bottom of the case and see if there
is about an inch of crud settled around the pump.  If there's serious
sludge, get a dealer to drop the pump and clean the sucker out.  Make sure
the mechanic is experienced, there are linkages to disconnect internally.
Tony
ol' Massey dealer

Subject: A question about Hypoid gear oil.....