Re: workshop fluorescent lights

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: workshop fluorescent lights
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:17:18 -0500
Are they T12 or T8 lights?  My local Lowe's only carries T12 lights.

Use instant start electronic ballasts and T8 lamps.  No flicker, no hum,
minimum start temps around 0 F.  The standard T12 (the number is the
diameter in 8th of an inch) with magnetic ballasts don't like to start much
below 50, and use 50% more energy for lower quality light and produce much
more heat (i.e. wasted energy).

I got mine at Home Depot, $20 or so for a 2x4' setup with a nice big
reflector panel.

At 11/20/2004 at 19:29, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Mark Andy's
keyboard and said:

>Howdy,
>
>So Lowe's has 4' assembled hanging workshop lights w/cord that are
>supposedly setup for cold weather for ~$25.
>
>That seems high...  Are there better sources for this stuff?
>
>Do I need to worry about the 'cold start' stuff if the temp should be 50
>deg or higher?  Are non-cold start lights much less expensive?
>
>For my 22x22 temporary shop, I'm planning on 9 primary 4' lights, with
>three rows of three, probably along with a couple task lights (also 4'
>lights) directly over the bench areas.  Sound ok?  At $25 a pop, its not
>going to break me, but I also don't want to be adding lights for the heck
>of it...

Cheers!