RE: Washing Machine Motors

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Washing Machine Motors
From: "Mullen, Tim \(IIS\)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:46:01 -0500
>  Do washing machine motors "wear out"?

Lots of good information about motors starting, but there's just one
thing...  The motor is already running.

The motor runs continuously, running the pump, then when the water level
drops all the way down, it "shifts gears" and engages the spin cycle
(without stopping the motor).  I would suspect the clutch mechanism, or
bearings, but when it "shifts", the motor starts straining (like it is
starting under load, but its already running, and nothing happens.  A
very slight tug on the drum gets it spinning.  When it's completed the
spin cycle(or I let off the safety interlock), the drum stops spinning
almost immediately - the clutch/brake seems to be working very well.

Maybe I need to take it all apart an grease it up or something.  Or buy
a new machine - but we LIKE this one...

Tim Mullen