RE: car batteries. who do you trust?

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: car batteries. who do you trust?
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:54:59 +0000
At 19:09 28/01/05 -0800, Randall wrote:

>It's interesting that they found all those differences ... did they try to
>sort out who actually made each battery ?  ISTR reading some time ago that
>there were only two auto battery makers left in NA, all the others were
>rebranded.

Perhaps the battery makers make up batteries to the sellers individual
specs? Like, for instance, a chilled food maker might make up dishes to
individual supermarket's recipes. Same maker - different outcome.

Not sure how much latitude there is in construction while still achieving
the various ratings, but it does seem to be a possibility, with longevity
being the end variable. Maybe someone with actual knowledge of what matters
in battery construction could chip in?

FWIW I've had good results with the Airflow battery conditioner

http://www.airflow-uk.com/battery-conditioner.htm

with 13 yr old intermittently used batteries still in good heart. Probably
similar to US based products. The only limitation is the quoted top end
size of 100AH which means it isn't recommended for use on larger plant
batteries.

Nick