Re: car batteries. who do you trust?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: car batteries. who do you trust?
From: Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:34:39 -0500
Michael Lye wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Do they discuss the methodology used? Was more than one example of
> each brand/size tested? Does this come down to manufacturing
> variability or quality control issues?
>
> Thanks?
>
> Michael

Unfortunately, no. Their experimental processes are not detailed in any
way in the article (whether online or in print). I too was curious about
the sample size, with such a variability in results! I agree, there is
room for question, but I would expect (perhaps it's just a hope) that
after all this time, CU would have their experimental methods together.
I've never been impressed at their ability to provide detailed data
(relative scales they use are a poor representation when measuring, say,
an FM tuner's selectivity).

That said, perhaps I've provided no answer at all. Maybe the best
practice is to just look for the best warranty, and be sure to pay
enough for that battery! Not very scientific, but my empirical data
shows that typically provides good results.

-Peter

Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Vienna, VA