Re: Carbon Buildup, was Re: question on C (neither L nor B)

To: "Jim Juhas" <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Carbon Buildup, was Re: question on C (neither L nor B)
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:53:29 -0800
The more I think about it, the more logical it seems the buildup is a
combination
of blowby gases and some of the activated charcoal (carbon) from the vapor
recovery system.  It ends up in the intake system since it's the source for the
vacuum for the vacuum controls used in the engine and it's downstream of the
PCV valve.

It's interesting that this crud is generally referred to as "carbon," whereas a
lot
of the stuff in blowby gases is oil and combustions byproducts (including some
carbon, of course).  It makes me think this "carbon buildup" is a known problem
in the auto industry and that the source, in part, is the carbon in the vacuum
canister.
A simple filter might eliminate this problem, but it might add $0.90 to the cost
of the car and you know the bean-counters won't allow that ;)

Then again, maybe people just refer to any black crud in an engine as "carbon."

bs