RE: WOOT! the tig is here!

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: WOOT! the tig is here!
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:06:17 -0800
> That's what Lincoln says - 45-amp wire feeding a machine that pulls up to 65
> or 72 amps, protected by a slow-blow 125-amp breaker.  Whaaaaat???

Amen to the WHAAAT !?

I see it, but I'm not sure I believe it.  Must be a specific exception in the
code to allow this configuration, probably based on the welder having internal
overcurrent protection.  Anybody got a copy of the 1996 NEC handy (which is
specifically referenced on the Lincoln web page, lending further credence to the
"specific exception" theory) ?  Might even be that changes in the code are why
Lincoln apparently no longer sells this model.

Also note that they claim the code allows use of a 50amp receptacle :
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/navigator/im/im688.pdf
(which makes the exception even crazier, IMO.)

Hmmm, "permits operation at rated output and duty cycle" ... does that mean it
would be a violation of the code to have a fault current ?  Maybe Lincoln is
pulling a fast one here ...

BTW, poking around for more info on the Lincoln 175, I came across a forum where
several people say they've run their TIGs on dryer outlets.  Most agree it can
be done.  The breaker will pop under certain conditions, certainly, but just
like you don't learn to drive at 100 mph, you likely shouldn't learn to weld at
full output either.
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=968987

Randall