RE: Kohler engine question

To: "shop-talk list" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Kohler engine question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:42:17 -0700
> I have a 30 year old Ford LT lawn tractor with a Kohler 14 hp engine (model
> K321AQS if that makes any difference). There is a piece of hose that comes
> out into the air cleaner housing from inside the block that has been blowing
> out quite a bit of oil residue.  Im pretty good at playing with Little
> British Car engines but I am afraid I have never dove into the lawn more
> engine world. So, before I start trying to freshen this thing up does
> anybody have any suggestions as to what I will be getting into as I try to
> stop fogging for bugs as I cut the grass with this thing from it pumping oil
> back into the carb through the air filter housing?

Worn out rings and/or cylinder bores would be my guess.  The little hose is the
crankcase vent.  If the cylinders aren't too bad, you can probably just hone
them a bit and install new rings.  Or have them bored, and install oversize
pistons & rings.  But check the crank, bearings, valves, etc. first ... usually
these little motors aren't worth doing a full overhaul on, since the parts and
machining will cost as much as a new motor.

Randall