Re: quickie elect. question

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: quickie elect. question
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:31:10 -0500
I agree with Randall. There is no guarantee that the copper plumbing is
now, and will always be grounded. PVC pope is also used to
replace/modify copper and/or iron pipe systems all the time.

Whether you connect the ground now, or don't, I would suggest that you
install GFCI outlets in the bathroom and kitchen. They don't have to
have a ground wire attached to them to function. Only thing is that if
there are other outlets farther down the circuit (away from the breaker
panel), they will need to have their own GFCIs, and connected to the
LINE side of the GFCIs. If you do hook up the ground wire to a known
good ground, then hook up the GFCI grounds also. This information should
be in the packing of the GFCI when you buy them.

Peace,
Pat