Re: quickie elect. question

To: "Timothy R. Hoerning" <hoerni@cooper.edu>
Subject: Re: quickie elect. question
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:24:48 -0400
Timothy R. Hoerning wrote:
>       I've been following this thread but I'm still a bit confused.  What
> is the house currently wired with?  Is it BX?  I thought BX used the shield
> for ground.  Or is it something older than that?
>
>       My house was all 2 prong when I moved in (with BX) and I've wired a
> number of sockets to 3 prong without any problem.

   I am far from the final authority, or any authority at all.

   ...but I'd be very curious to see if any application allowed the use
of the BX shield as a ground. (and a bit surprised I guess... it sounds
very wrong to me)

   BX wire is normally to be used as "armoured wire", where it will be
exposed to possible damage. Such as in a garage where a length will have
to go down a wall exposed, or to a wired-in machine like a permanent air
compressor where the cable is exposed from a junction box into the unit.

   The metal shield is designed to protect from piercing, say if
somebody leans a ladder against it, or hits it with a tool, or similar.
By code, certain places require it for this reason.

   But any BX I've ever installed has a normal ground in the bundle.

   Personally I hate working with the stuff, the little insulating plugs
that have to be jammed into the end to stop chafing are just way too
hard to get in and never leave me feeling very happy that they are in right.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca