RE: wood overhead

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wood overhead
From: "Mullen, Tim \(IIS\)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:43:59 -0400
Chadwick E. Labno wrote:

> First, the forward end of  the horizontal supports (front
> legs) were too high to fit under the lower control arms of
> <...> Second, the length of the boom did not allow attachment
> to the engine at a balance point <...>

I've always had my cars up on jack stands so that I had access to engine
mounts, exhaust pipes, etc. so it has never been a problem for me.

My "2 ton" engine hoist has an extendable boom, so I can slide it out to
reach farther - it lowers the lifting capacity, but even if I pull it
all the way out, the hoist can lift 2,000 lbs instead of 4,000 which has
never been a problem.

As others have said, having a load (engine) balancer makes things much
easier - you turn the crank to tilt the engine/trans into position to
clear body work and the firewall.

Tim Mullen