home networking

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: home networking
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:58:59 +0000
have just finished googling enough to know I don't know what I'm doing...

next project is to wire the house for new computer.  that plus old computer ==
two total.  internet is via comcast cable.

would like to have two computers share connection, in two different rooms.
added wrinkle is the really nice laserjet given to me by office isc guy.

have settled on running cat-5 wire through walls.  can handle that part, or at
least just ran coax through the walls and hope this'll be easier.

what I don't get is the cable ---> computers setup.  isc guy mentioned needing
a drop block, a router and some other stuff not found at home depot (don't know
where else to shop for this stuff).

what I thought I was doing was coax --> cable modem --> router --> cat5 -->
computers.  now I'm not so sure that's right.

can anyone shed some light?

thanks.

scott