Re: Racer Community Garage Ideas

To: "Kendall Jones" <kendall_jones2002@yahoo.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Racer Community Garage Ideas
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:36:51 -0400
> Anyone here involved with one of those "group of
> racers who rent a warehouse" projects?

An additional note, since not only am I obsessive about shop cleanliness,
but also about shop safety.

In addition to the usual first aid kit, I recommend an eye wash station (the
gravity powered ones work fine and are not too expensive, a bottle of
contact lens solution and a spare contact lens case.  With a few people in a
shop, especially if you plan on renting out space and the turnover is
frequent, someone is bound to have contact lenses.  No one ever carries
around spare solution or cases with them, and if they need to remove their
contacts or flush out their eyes, they will need these items.

Even the most safety conscious of us can get crud (or errant spray/fumes
from aerosol products) in our eyes, and I personally, really like being able
to see the world each day.  I still don't know how I did it, but I was
really glad to have eye wash solution in my shop the day I shot myself in
the eye with PB Blaster.

Oh yah, bee sting kits are a good idea as well.  While I am not allergetic
to bee stings, I did have a bee sting me in the neck while in the shop for
no apparent reason.  And project cars that have been sitting outside almost
always have lots of flying insects nesting in the crevices of the car.

You are not going to be able to prepare or prevent every sort of accident,
but if a few simple and inexpensive items can prevent further bodily damage
after an incident, then it has been well worth the money spent on having
those items on hand.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke